Mission: The mission of the NativeVision Year Round Program is to empower American Indian youth to realize their full (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) potential through promotion of physical fitness, healthy nutrition, and positive life skills.
- Improve youth physical fitness
- Improve youth physical health
- Improve youth healthy food choices
- Increase youth sense of connectedness to culture, community, and nature
- Increase youth self-efficacy and self-esteem about one’s future
- Improve youth academic progress
2016-2017 Program Sites:
- Santo Domingo, NM
- Shiprock, NM
- Tuba City, AZ
- Whiteriver, AZ
Participants: Participants range in age from 3rd – 12th grade at each of the four sites. We aim to serve 700 youth annually as well as engage parents in program activities.
- Implement a 12 session NativeVision Year Round curriculum after-school or in-school with enrolled youth; this includes 12 hours of nutrition/fitness/life skills education and 12 hours of interactive physical activity or gardening activities.
- Provide incentives and rewards to youth as they complete goals.
- Incorporate social media to share wellness messages and communicate about program activities.
- Engage parents in order to extend teachings to the home and further impact youth.
- Collect detailed process data to track progress and continually improve programming; at selected sites implement surveys with participating students to measure student changes over time.
- Host a 1-2 day local camp focused on sports and life skills, led by local and national athlete mentors.
- Respond to community requests for health promotion events related to NativeVision program goals.
- Facilitate registration for the NativeVision Annual Camp held in a host Native community each summer.
Program Staffing and Partnerships: The program is coordinated and staffed by Johns Hopkins Center for American Indian Health, in partnership with local schools and community partners.
- Santo Domingo: Avery Aguilar, 505-797-3305, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shiprock: Leonela Nelson, 505-368-4038, email@example.com
- Tuba City: Olivia Trujillo, 928-283-8221, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whiteriver: Sean Parker, 928-338-3874, email@example.com
- NativeVision Field Coordinator: Jazmin Villavicencio, 928-283-8221, firstname.lastname@example.org,
- NativeVision Camp Coordinator: Marlena Hammen, 410-955-6931, email@example.com